8th Subdivision - Bedford And Bloomfield Branch
The Bedford and Bloomfield (B&B) could trace its heritage back to the late 1860's. The original plan was a line to Effingham, Illinois, starting at Bedford. The line was built as narrow guage. The first part of the line, from Illinois, was the Springfield, Effingham & South Eastern Railway, incorporated in 1869 and had 57 miles of track from Effingham to the Indiana border by 1880. 1880 also saw an additional 31 miles of track open from the state line to Switz City by the Bloomfield Railroad, which had been organized in 1874.
The line was not very good physical plant. When the LNA&C assumed control of the B&B in 1886, 100 feet of the Owensburg Tunnel collapsed. Bridges were also a headache. All were in poor condition and were either rebuilt or braced. Despite these problems the B&B was a welcome addition. The most serious problem on the B&B was that it was narrow guage. In 1887 the railroad started to convert the line to standard guage, starting at Bedford to Avoca, along with many sidings. This enable the LNA&C's own locomotives to serve the large stone quarries around Bedford and Dark Hollow. Dual guage allowed the B&B trains to enter Bedford.
B&B Time Table. Courtesy Ken Weller
When the I&L Branch was opened, little coal was moved via the B&B. When the Owensburg tunnel suffered one of its frequent collapses, the Monon could use Indianapolis Southern trackage rights as a backdoor to the west end of the B&B Branch. It allowed access into Switz City via the backdoor.
MP B&B 0.0 8th Subdivision-Fd
Bedford, Indiana. Left: April 1977. The B&B Branch, pictured to the right side of the picture. Right: Former B&B line passing the pole yard of a Bedford Power Company, October 1984.
Left: Scrap stone pile alongside the former B&B line. Right: Old stone mill on the line. Both pictures, circa 1984.
The Indiana Limestone District
SW-1 Switcher #6 works the former B&B mailine at Dark Hollow. The train is west of Lincoln Avenue headed toward Dark Hollow on the old B&B trackage. The photo was taken in front of one of the Ingalls stone mills, which is visible in the background. -Courtesy Steve Dolzall-
MP B&B 3.9 8th Subdivision -
The community name, which was founded in 1875, came from the Dark Hollow Quarry. A Post Office was established here and operated between 1893 until 1901. The Dark Hollow Quarry was located on a branch line. -Courtesy Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society's 2002 Convention Tourbook-
Monon Railroad pile driver working on replacement bridge over Salt Creek on the line at Dark Hollow. The original covered bridge collapsed in 1903.
Bridge on B&B over Salt Creek. Unknown date. Note additional reinforcement to the wooden bridge. -Courtesy of Jim Craig-
NEW 08-19-2011 Left, Middle and Right: Limestone columns loaded on flatcars at Dark Hollow, May of 1922. The columns were made in 1921 and 1922 by the Doyle Stone Company and the Indiana Cut Stone Company Mill. Doyle owned both companies. By the time the building was finished in 1928, Indiana Limestone owned Doyle Stone and Indiana Cut Stone. Indiana Limestone took credit for this work in their advertising. The columns are heading to Pennsylvania for the North Office Building, Pennsylvania State Capital Group. There were 36 columns in total. There are 15 buildings in the Capitol Group. -Pete Pedigo Collection-
The assembled column train northbound near East Oolitic, 1922. -Pete Pedigo Collection-
Multiple derricks in Dark Hollow. This aerial photo was taken camera facing southeast towards the entrance to Dark Hollow. This would be the Consolidated Quarries Company. The operators shack that operates each derrick are circled. The operator can not see the quarry hole nor can they see the Monon gondolas they are loading. Dropping stone to hard and damaging cars was a common occurrence. Each derrick had 18 cables at the top and at least 6 running to the operators shack. The cable were "fair leaded" over the rock piles via pulleys and sheaves. Walking into a moving cable was pretty dangerous. Notice all of the channelers are electric. One not on this model of electric channeler. It cut on both sides at the same time making cutting very efficient.
Dark Hollow, circa 1984. Left: Looking north along the old right of way on the B&B. Right: Looking to the south.
Evidence left behind of a once thriving stone industry. Left: Walls of the Dark Hollow Quarry. Long since abandoned. Right: Stone piles in the vicinity of the old quarry.
Looking across the bridge over Salt Creek, circa 1980. Looking at the tracks, it looks as if this bridge is on the verge of being swept away with the next swift current. -Clay Stuckey Photograph-
A side view of the trestle over Salt Creek. The bridge is pretty much on its last legs. -Clay Stuckey Photograph-
Dark Hollow/ Salt Creek Area 2006
The former right of way in the Dark Hollow Quarry.
Left and Right: More shots of the former right of way in the quarry. If you look close enough, there are still railroad ties in the ground along the way.
Railroad Artifacts For $1000.00 Alex? Left and Right: Not all of the evidence of the railroad that once serviced this area has been removed. Steve Stafford found some artifcats along the way.
Left: Dark Hollow Trestle, or what is left of it. Right: Rails protruding from the north bank at the bridge site.
Long shot across Salt Creek showing remains of the bridge and the rails sticking out from the bank.
Mother Nature is taking back the former right of way. Left: Taken from the north bank of Salt Creek. This is all that is left of the pilings from the Salt Creek bridge. Right: Looking south from the former right of way across Salt Creek.
Left: On the former B&B right of way looking north towards Avoca. Right: Another shot of the former right of way north of Salt Creek. Steve Stafford, who contributed these pictures advises... "JEEP.... don't go railfanning without it."
MP B&B 5.5 8th Subdivision -
"After the Civil War, a lot of the conversation concerned stone. It was after the opening of Blue Hole Quarry and Dark Hollow Quarry, that a quarry near Avoca was opened by David Reed, a Chicago stone contractor. This was in 1881. As business became better, Mr. Reed needed additional men for the quarry and the mill which he added. Most of the men employed in the Salt Creek bottom went to Reed for employment; therefore, the little settlement began to fade away. At Chicago, Mr. Reed had many Italians employed. He was the first to bring in foreign-born men to work in the quarry and mill. In time, the community consisted mostly of Italians. Joe Mack, Phillip Tartorillo and Aelio, were the first Italians recorded there. Mr. Reed built living quarters for the Italians and also added a general store. The community was first called "Little Italy" , but it was renamed, "Reed's Station". At one time there were between four and five hundred Italians living there and all worked in the quarry and mill." -Taken from "Oolitic of Yesteryear" by Gerald Skinner-
This location appears on the time table. There once was a box car freight depot located here early in the 1900's. There is also a town called Reed in Delaware County. On many maps this location has been named Patton Hill. -Courtesy Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society's 2002 Convention Tourbook-
MP B&B 6.5 8th Subdivision -
Avoca was originally platted in 1819. The name originates from an Irish place name in the fourth stanza of the poem, "The Meeting Of The Waters", by Thomas Moore. Dr. Winthrop Foote has been credited with naming the town, because the cold springs reminded him of the poem. The first Post Office operated here between 1856 and 1859. A second Post Office opened in 1870. In 1924 the State opened a fish hatchery, on the site of an old grist mill, which remains today. The former right of way can still be seen from the parking lot of the hatchery. -Courtesy Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society's 2002 Convention Tourbook-
Avoca depot, May 25, 1928. From the Hohenberger Photograph Collection at Indiana University's Lilly Library. -Courtesy of Pete Pedigo.-
MP B&B 10.4 8th Subdivision -
Flatwood. Left: Looking east along the former right of way towards Avoca. Right: Facing west towards Springville. These photos were taken from Red Hill Road, or County Road 650.
MP B&B 11.0 8th Subdivision - X
The community was platted by Samuel Owen, July 1832, after the Post Office had been established in 1827. The community was named for the nearby Spring Creek. Today the area remains a residential community. -Courtesy Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society's 2002 Convention Tourbook-
This marker denotes the former BSOB, later B&B Branch of the Monon. This marker is actually north of Springville, where the old right of way crossed the highway. After departing Avoca, the right of way crossed State Road 58 swings north of Springville rounding higher ground before heading back south to Springville. The right of way crosses Route 58 again at the Route 58 and 54 intersection. -Courtesy Pete Pedigo-
Depot at Springville-Armstrong. Ari Armstrong was one of
the principle land donors to the B&B
Railroad. Ari had several children. The infamous
Armstrong who put things on the track to stop the train at the flagstop at
Armstrong was his daughter. At least two of his boys, Curtis and
Kern are in this photo. Kern Armstrong is on the left between the fence and
the rail facing the camera. Curtis is on the far left above the cattle pen
on horse back also. Stan's father, Dale in on the white horse
on the right. The box car appears to have an end door. And this day apparently
the Armstrong's had driven the cattle to the pen for transport. The fence
looks new around the pen also. -Courtesy of Stan and Ann Armstrong and Pete
MP B&B 14.8 8th Subdivision -
According to railroad records, there were no railroad owned buildings. There once was a pine water tank, with a capacity of 30,000 gallons. There is a legend that this location was established as part of a right of way acquisition. In Elmer Sulzer's book "Ghost Railroads Of Indiana", he relates a story about missing the stop with the daughter of the land owner on board. The next day a dummy was placed on the track and after the train was brought to a stop, the crew was taunted to the effect, "well we made you stop this time." -Courtesy Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society's 2002 Convention Tourbook-
Left: Armstrong 2005. Photographer is standing on the old B&B right of way. The old road bed in the trees curves towards the photographer and crossed the road at this location. You are looking east towards Armstrong Station Road. Right: Armstrong Station Road turns south off St. Road 58. The roadbed is about 100 feet south Route 58 north of the bridge. The roadbed is to the right of the green sign and crossed the highway at this location. -Courtesy Pete Pedigo-
Covered bridge picture near Armstrong. It is from the Hohenberger collection at the Lilly Library, dated May 17, 1928. It is more than likely the bridge over Indiana Creek west of Armstrong. -Courtesy Pete Pedigo-
Little Indian Creek, east of Owenburg. Left: Standing on the west bent end of the Little Indian Creek bridge site. When the water levels are low, you can still see 12x12 beams that were bolted to the bed. These beams supported the trestle bents that supported the wooden trestle. Right: Close up look at the beams. The bridge was removed from this location 70 years ago. -Courtesy Pete Pedigo-
Left: Standing on the grade on the west end bent of Little Indian Creek, looking northeast. Route 58 bridge to the left of the picture. Right: Looking west along the right of way from the west side of the Little Indian Creek bridge site. Owensburg is about 2 miles west of this location. -Courtesy Pete Pedigo-
MP B&B 18.9 8th Subdivision -
The town was originally platted on March 25, 1848. The town was founded and laid out by Emanual Hatfield. He named in honor of one of his friends Lilburn Owens. It had first been called Owensville. Lilburn Owens was a Blacksmith and people wanted a blacksmith closer then Springville which is about 10 miles away. The blacksmith shop a stable and a house for Lilburn Ownes was all built in one day. Approx. 40 people took part in the construction. The Post Office opened in 1844 under the name of Oak Ridge. The name was going to be called Owensville but it was learned that there was already an Owensville in Indiana. The name Owensburgh was adopted and later the "h" was dropped off.
Owensburg depot. This image also appears in Elmer Sulzer's book Ghost Railroad Of Indiana. The photo is credited to Sylvan Smith. We apologize for the poor quality of the image.
This is the former depot at Owensburg, currently used as a residence. The grade was elevated to get to the tunnel elevation. Located on south side of State Road 58. Right: Another look at the former depot location. The right of way was to the left side of image, in the grassy area. The garage in the background across the road also sits on the former right of way, which was elevated on the other side of the road.
Left: Bridge abutments about 500 feet west of Owensburg Station, facing north towards Owensburg and Route 58.
Left: Looking north from the former depot location. Owensburg is on the other side of State Road 58 which is the cross road pictured. Right: Looking north at old roadbed fill for a bridge that once crossed a county road. -Courtesy Pete Pedigo-
M.P. B&B 19.9 - 8th Subdivision -
Built at a cost of $108,563.00, the original tunnel length was 1,362 feet. The tunnel included 626 bents, spaced every 6'6". In 1886, one hundred feet of the tunnel collapsed and was rebuilt, costing $4, 986.00. In 1894 the tunnel was rebuilt to accommodate standard gauge track. This rebuilding cost $27,000.00. An underground stream was the primary source of maintenance. In the early 1900's there were tunnel watch houses at both ends of the tunnel. -Courtesy Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society's 2002 Convention Tourbook-
Owensburg Tunnel, early 1900's. Left: Tunnel workers pose in this picture. The tunnel, the only one on the Monon, was a constant source of problems. Right: The tunnel was widened in 1894 to allow standard guage equipment. Pictured is a local crew standing beside their locomotive. This is the East end of the tunnel.
Left: Another look of the workers on the Owensburg Tunnel. Date unknown. Right: Picture of local residents posing at one of the portals of the tunnel.
One more view of the west portal of the Owensburg Tunnel.
From the Hohenberger Photograph Collection at Indiana University's Lilly Library. Left: North portal of the tunnel as seen in 1928. Right: This viaduct is near the tunnel. No wonder they replaced it with a grade crossing. Date is also 1928. -Courtesy Pete Pedigo and the Lilly Library-
Looking down the B&B right of way at the west portal of the tunnel. Unknown date. Also unknown is the name of the gentleman pictured.
Owensburg Tunnel 2005
The tunnel obviously is not longer in operation. Neither Portal is visible and the approach cuts have eroded into V's and have trees growing. The east portal location is the easiest one to get to, but since it is now on private land, ask permission first. A small dam has been built on the east end of the approach cut and it holds water as a pond. The west grade can be accessed from a country road back east towards the west tunnel portal. The terrain is pretty rugged and the road bed becomes lost where the approach cut erosion has filled in on top of it. The "V" of the cut erosion tells where the portal was, but the actual portal location is lost today.
Back filling of a trestle between the West portal of the tunnel and Dresden. Part of this line was built on a trestle which was later back filled into a solid embankment. Pictured is a box culver underpass, more than likely the one pictured below. -Jim Craig Collection-
Approaching the underpass on Tunnel Hill Road (also known as Koleen Road) from the southeast. This is headed towards Highway 45 and Owensburg. The old B&B right of way is on top. -Courtesy Sarah M. -
The entrance to the underpass, again facing southeast. -Courtesy Sarah M-
The right of way above the underpass. This is facing northeast. -Courtesy Sarah M-
M.P. B&B 22.3 - 8th Subdivision -
The old log cabin town on the Owensburg and Bloomfield
road, was laid out by old Isaac Johnson, a very noted colored citizen of
Township. The proprietor has long since passed away, and the town is also
now going down the same natural course. No public building except a schoolhouse.
-Ouote from Baber's Early History of Greene County , written
in 1875. Courtesy of Joe Land.-
Other than a car body combination depot shown on the 1915 inventory, not much is known of this location. -Courtesy Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society's 2002 Convention Tourbook-
M.P. B&B 23.8 - 8th Subdivision -
The town was named for a local family. An alternate spelling of Robinson appears on some Indiana maps. The Post Office operated here between 1883 and 1926. -Courtesy Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society's 2002 Convention Tourbook-
M.P. B&B 26.3 - 8th Subdivision -
The community was founded and platted in 1853 by Elijah Mitchell. It was named by railroad officials for the type of clay mined nearby, kaolin. This clay is used in pottery. The name of Cullen was also submitted for the Post Office, which was established in 1877. It is possible that a residence that stands between the raod and creek may have been the old depot. -Courtesy Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society's 2002 Convention Tourbook-
M.P. B&B 28.0 - 8th Subdivision -
Besides a platform, there was no established town at this location. -Courtesy Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society's 2002 Convention Tourbook-
M.P. B&B 29.7 - 8th Subdivision -
The town was also once known as Fellows Mills and Mineral. The Post Office was named Mineral City when it opened in 1877, but changed to Mineral in 1895. The name was supplied by the railroad as it described both the coal and mineral springs in the area. -Courtesy Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society's 2002 Convention Tourbook-
The depot at Mineral City, circa 1910. -Courtesy of Robert L. Jackson and Pete Pedigo-
Derailment of a coal train between Mineral Spring and Bloomfiled. Year is not listed. Because of the poor physical plant, derailments and accidents like this were common on the B&B Branch.
This photo is close to where the wreck pictured above was located. Not conculsive, but the hill in this photo closely matches the one in the photo on the left above. Joe Land BMIA says that it is hard to locate the old right of way due to the many decades of farming in this area. Most traces have been removed.
Former B&B right of way between Mineral City and Bloomfield. Left: Looking southwest. Mineral City is in the background. Right: Looking northwest along the former right of way towards Bloomfield.
M.P. B&B 19.9 - 8th Subdivision - BO
Bloomfield is the County Seat of Greene County and was founded and platted in 1824. It was named by Dr. Hallet B. Dean for his birthplace, Bloomfield, New Jersey. Peter Van Slake Sr, a local distiller, donated 62 acres for the creation of the town. The first Post Office was established in 1825. The town continues to be a farm related center with small manufacturing and coal mines. -Courtesy Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society's 2002 Convention Tourbook-
Bloomfield, Indiana. Circa 1909-10. Left: Main Street. No direction noted. Right: Street scene including Bloomfield Post Office.
Bloomfield 2005. Left: Standing at corner of Judson and Seminary streets; looking west. The black pick-up is parked on the B&B right of way. The concrete just north of the right of way is where the depot was located. The Indiana RR (former Illinois Central) right of way is to the north,far right side of the photo. A tavern was once located between the Monon depot and the IC tracks. convenient, eh? Right: Depot location, looking east along Judson St. The south lane of Judson St. is on the right of way. The tracks turned southeast near the blue shed.
Standing in Judson Street. looking southeast. The blue shed and garage are located on the right of way.
M.P. B&B 35.8 - 8th Subdivision -
July 28, 1884 saw the collapse of the original bridge over the White River at Elliston. It was another example of how cheaply built the original line was.
Looking across the White River bridge at Elliston. Date unknown. This bridge was built to replace the narrow gauge bridge that collasped in 1884. It was one of a very few covered railroad bridges in Indiana. -Courtesy George Lortz-
A look at the side of the covered bridge across the White River. This bridge burnt down in 1937. -Courtesy George Lortz-
Left: You are looking at a rock pile that once was one of the supports for the Monon covered bridge that once crossed the White River. This photo was taken from the Indiana Railroad bridge to the north of the old B&B line. Right: Bridge abutment that is still standing on the west bank of the river.
Left and Right: Looking at a bridge pier on the west side of the White River. Picture on the left you are looking looking northeast. Indianapolis & Southern bridge in the background. Picture on the right is looking southeast.
M.P. B&B 36.0 - 8th Subdivision - DE
Elliston was platted in 1884 and was named for an early settler named Ellis. This area has also been known as West Bloomfield. A Post Office operated here between 1885 and 1910. -Courtesy Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society's 2002 Convention Tourbook-
The triple crossing. Date unknown. You are looking west-northwest. The overhead tracks are the Indianapolis Southern. Tracks from left to right are those of the Evansville & Southern. Tracks in the foreground are those of the B&B Branch of the Monon. The E&I Depot was also shared by the Monon.
The crossing was considered rare in railroad history. It originally included the Bedford, Springville, Owensburg & Bloomingfield Railroad, the Evansville, Indianapolis & Terre Haute Railroad and the Indianapolis Southern Railroad. Over the years the three lines have changed names several times, but these were the original builders. This railroad landmark has evolved many times over the years between 1876 and 1906.
This track schematic, circa 1926, shows the arrangement of the interchange between the Monon B&B and Evansville & Indiana Railroad. This schematic originally appeared in The Hoosier Line, Volume 22, Number 2, May 2003.
Elliston, Indiana on the old B&B Right of way. Date not available. Pictured is the famous "triple crossing" of the B&B/MONON, a Big Four/NYC branch, and an IC branch. The photographer is standing approximately on the old B&B main looking west (toward Switz City). The depot visible on the other side of the bridge is the Big Four depot, whose track ran alongside it, crossing the B&B at grade almost directly beneath the IC branch on the bridge overhead. (Additional photograph information courtesy Tim Swan)
Left: Triple crossing looking west southwest. The platforms have been removed from the east (E&I) and south (Monon) sides. Right: March 2002. Looking due south. The Depot was E&I and shared with the Monon. -Courtesy George Lortz-
Another look at the triple crossing bridge. The photographer is standing on the former B&B right of way. -Courtesy of George Lortz-
Elliston 2005. The E&I depot and bridge still stand. Left: Standing almost on top of the former Monon right of way looking east. The Monon ran east to west and where the limestone blocks are would be on the right of way. Right: Looking northeast along the former E&I right of way. The crossing with the Monon is where the barrels are sitting.
The depot at Elliston, circa December 2006. Left: The east wall of the depot. The road in the foreground would be on the right of way of the former E&I line. Right: North wall of the depot. E&I right of way was to the left.
Left: The south end of the depot. The photograher is standing near the crossing of the T&I and B&B. B&B right of way ran right to left, or left to right in the foreground. Right: West wall of the depot.
Left: Looking almost down the former right of way. Pictured is the Indianapolis & Southern trestle and bridge across the White River. Right: Looking toward the west at the Indianapolis & Southern trestle towards Switz City.
STOP-LOOK- AND LISTEN! This is a photo of a crossing sign on a tractor road leading to a cow pasture south of State Road 54 near Elliston. The B&B row is just across the fence. The sign is not original B&B, and was placed there by the farmer who owns the property. Just because the last train passed this point seventy years ago is no reason to get careless.
Between Elliston and Switz City. Bridge abutments are a reminder that a railroad right of way used to travel through the area. These are about half way between Elliston and Switz City along Highway 54.
Former B&B right of way. Left: Looking west along the old B&B right of way. This location is about one half mile east of the Highway 54 and Highway 57 junction in Switz City. Right: A drainage culvert on the old right of way.
M.P. B&B 40.5 - 8th subdivision - HM
The incorporated town was founded about 1869 and was named for a local landowner, John Switz. In 1869 the first Post Office was established. The Southern Indiana Railroad provided all the station facilities in this town. -Courtesy Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society's 2002 Convention Tourbook-
Looking along the old B&B right of way in the vicinity of Switz City. Tom Rakin believes this picture was taken close to Switz City.
Depot. Two images. Left: The terminus of the B&B Branch. This union
depot was shared by the Illinois Central's Indianapolis Branch and the
Pennsylvania's Vincennes Branch, but not the Monon. Date unknown. Right:
Switz City Monon depot, The year is 1902. The depot was shared by Indianapolis & Southern
RR and Monon RR and staffed by both railroads and Adams American Express,
and was located on Pennsylvania RR property. The men pictured, from left:
Gerhardt B. Daubenspeck-clerk, W. Culmer-agent,
Henry Daubenspeck-day operator and clerk and a Mr.Geyer-night operator & clerk. This information, is courtesy of Joseph Land, from an article printed in The Linton Daily Citizen, and provided by Reid Miller. This picture courtesy of Ron Marquardt.
Switz City turntable, 1902. This was the absolute end of the line for the I&L Branch, and the B&B Branch. Pictured is the manually operated turntable at Switz City. Yep, you had to get out and push.
The manual turntable at Switz City. If you look close, the handle used to operate the turntable can be seen. Date of this picture is unknown. Courtesy of Joe Land and the Land Family. Joe's father and grandfather both worked on the railroad.
The last of the three hotels that once stood in Switz City. The front of the building faced west toward the PRR tracks, a few feet behind where the photographer was standing when this picture was taken. The Monon tracks were to the north (left side of the photo) just out of camera range. The hotel was built in the early 1900's, and was torn down in 2002. For many years it was a family residence. Plans to preserve and restore it as a Historic Building fell through when matching funds could not be obtained. -Courtesy Dale Davis-
In 1902 the Monon leased rights over the Indianapolis Southern Railway's track between Switz City and Victoria. Pictures is CI&L locomotive #28 derailed between Switz City and Linton. The derailment was caused by a broken rail.
Switz City 2005
Switz City 2005. While I struck out finding remains of the old B&B in Switz City, due to lack of a decent map, railroad activity is alive and well. Left and Right: Indiana Railroad facillity at Switz City.
The former B&B right of way. Left: Photographer is standing on the right of way looking west. The line ran between the two houses. Right. Looking east along the main right of way towards the the former junction with the PRR.
Looking along the old right of way. This location is about 100 yards east of the former turntable location. The cut on the right was the main heading west to Switz City, and turntable. The cut to the left was the line connecting to the Illinois Central. Much of this area has been filled in over the years by the homeowners. The area in the photo is due to be filled this year.
The former location of the turntable at Switz City. According to Switz City resident Joseph Land there is not much to see of the old location. It is interesting that the trees pictured are growing in a circle, that the locals point out as the former turntable site.
Looking southwest along the connecting track to the Illinois Central (Indiana Southern).
Left: Looking east along the connecting right of way. Right. Looking west, standing on the connecting right of way. Photographs courtesy Joseph Land.
M.P. B&B 46.7 - 8th subdivision -
Left and Right: IC - Monon depot at Linton, Indiana. The Monon (Bedford & Bloomfield), at one time, had trackage rights on the Illinois Central between Switz City and Linton, that gave access to the coal fields. Fred Allen a local RR historian said that the IC depot was, at one time, shared by the B & B. The B & B had arrangement with the I.C., and carried a coach on the rear of the hopper trains for the miners to ride in. It is likely that some of them may have boarded at Linton.
| Bygone Monon Main | Eighth Subdivision |