Miscellaneous Monon Images
Click on images to view larger image
NEW 01-08-2005 Cast iron Monon aligator. This gator was given to your Webmaster as a gift. The person who gave the gift is not sure if it is original or one of the copies that have started circulating around on E-bay and swap meets. It has been the subject of some discussion on the Monon List and Picture Lists. Original, or copy, the Webmaster is very happy to have it.
NEW 11-01-2004 These two images are courtesy of Pete Pedigo. They are of the old crossing signal at 7th Street in Bloomington which has been guarded, for who knows how long, by a piece of 1887 rail. The New Albany and Salem Railroad reached Bloomington from the south in 1853, so this rail was purchased for construction after that. Checking in Dolzall's bood, a lot of rail would have been purchase in 1887 for the branch line to French Lick and West Baden. It is more than likely this rail came from that order and cut off's were used as guard rails for signals in the area. There is also a piece at 6th street also guarding a signal and is also date 1887, and was partially hidden.
NEW 06-27-2004 Lowell, Indiana depot sign. For your webmaster, this sign brings back many fond memories. It currently hangs above the layout at the Purdue Model Railroad Club in West Lafayette, Indiana. Of course I won't mention how many times your webmaster, as a youth, attempted to break the sign with apples, rocks, etc. Glad my accuracy didn't improve till later on.
The bench pictured above was used by the Monon Railroad in Lafayette. The bench was refinished by the Monon Society, and currently is located in the bus terminal, in the lower level of the Big Four Depot in Lafayette.
Many Monon crossings were protected by this unique device which was displayed in addition to the standard railroad wooden crossbucks. As long as the green light was displayed the right of way was clear. As a train approached the light went out. The sign on the signal proclaims "Danger, when the light is out cross at your own risk." Photo Richard Baldwin
The town of Monon lies at the intersection of the two main branches of the Monon Railroad right of way. A city park there is the home of this historical marker and caboose (ex-EJ&E 179?) painted up as Monon 81579. Note that this was never a Monon caboose. Photographed by Joe Vogel, 12/27/95.
Pictured above is one of the Monon's Company houses. Based on its size, it appears to be the one designated for the restaurant operator. Image from the Mark Baker collection.
The town of Midland, Indiana, was an outside point on the Monon Railroad. It was never a major facility, but it was the terminus of Monon's coal mine spurs in Green and Sullivan County, and the focus of the many varied activities associated with making up coal trains for shipment to other points along the Monon Route. At one time, there were as many as twelve train crews stationed at Midland. In 1918, when the Midland yard was just six years old, it had to be expanded to accomodate the increases in freight traffic. At one point in time there were as many as thirty-four coal mines feeding into the Midland yards.
The round house had four stalls, but lacked a turntable or wye. They had to do all their turning either at Vicksburg, or by using several switches. South of the depot was what they used to call the 'beanery'. (Officially, the YMCA dormitory, according to Monon records.) The beanery was a big long building near the throat of the the south yards. Adjacent to the dormitory were separate buildings housing the restaurant, complete with a sixteen foot-long sign on top of the roof, and a small residence for its operator.
More Coming Soon
| Pictures main |
@2004-2006 Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society, Inc. All rights reserved.