MP 315.5 5th Subdivision -
Here is an interesting shot. The train is northbound at the North Wye during the flood of 1937. The Ohio River began rising on January 5, 1937, but it was not a flood at first. On January 20, experts predicted that the river would reach fifty-two feet in average depth. However, the seawalls (walls constructed along the shoreline to prevent erosion) were sixty feet high. No one was prepared for the crest of sixty-five feet in 1937, which caused fifty-six - communities to be evacuated. The flood finally subsided on February 9, 1937. Seventy-five million dollars in damages had been caused, and that was in 1937 when one dollar was equivalent to twelve dollars now. The damages would be equal to nearly one billion dollars today
North end of Vernia siding but not as we know it today. The photo was taken about McDonald Lane. The new set off track is to the left of the main. The industry to the right is a fertilizer company. In the distance is the JR Stem log yard. A 1952 timetable showing Vernia holding 103 cars based on 46 foot car lengths or a total of 4738 ft. A timetable dated 1962 shows Vernia holding 148 cars based on 46 foot car lengths or a total of 6808 feet. Tthe Monon extended Vernia to Grant Line Road when they built the spur into Pillsbury about 1959. Coincidentally, a 1928 timetable doesn't list a siding at Vernia.
Left: The Thoroughbred passes by Hausfeldt Lane, July 1962 on its way to Louisville. F3 #84A spent much of her Monon career in passenger service. Right: Train #5 arriving on the northside of New Albany in June 1962. Note that all the trailing passenger equipment are still in red and gray livery.
Left: Passenger train at McDonald Lane on the northside of New Albany, 1962. Right: Southbound in red and gray at Durgee Road on the north side of New Albany
Left: Alco RS2's draw a local freight through Vernia, December 1960. Right: Train #73, May 30, 1965 on the mainline at Vernia.
NEW 01-18-2011 Local freight in the hole at Vernia, 1964. -Linton Moss Photograph-
Industry along the mainline, 1979. Left: Industrial building in Vernia. Note old Monon loading platform to the middle-left side of the picture. Right: Hoosier Panel Company, circa 1979. Just another of the many industries once served by the Monon.
Southbound CSX freight at Vernia, Indiana Randy Moore Photograph.
Action near Vernia. Left: J772 is the local heading northbound at the "North Wye" just south of Vernia, February 2001. Right: Q686 northbound just south of Vernia, July 1995.
Left: Is the motorist lucky, or just stupid? Q687 southbound at Vernia, July 1995. Right: February 1976. New signals that the L&N installed at North Vernia, but they weren't in service yet. These signals would be replaced in 1997 with ugly color light ones along with self restoring power switch.
| Pictures Main | Locations Archives |
| Return To Index | Contact Us |
@2011 Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society, Inc. All rights reserved.