The South Bend Sand and Gravel Company was founded and began operations in 1924. The plant was the first central mixed concrete plant in the State of Indiana, and one of the oldest in the United States and was started in South Bend in 1925 by George Hoffman. John Kuert of the Kuert Contracting Co. was employed as manager of Hoffman's central mix plant. The first deliveries were made in 1926 to the Independent Concrete Pipe Co. Deliveries were then made in regular dump trucks owned by individual contract haulers. On June 24, 1927, the company was incorporated as Kuert Concrete, Inc.In 1930, George J. Hoffman retired and sold his stock to John Kuert and Frank Morrow. On November 1, 1930, a special board meeting was held, and a reorganization was voted. Kuert and Morrow took a big gamble buying Mr. Hoffman out as the nation was in the midst of the Great Depression. Kuert Concrete struggled through 1931 and 1932 because of the effects of the Depression. In 1933, PWA money was available, and one of the projects approved was Adams High School. Kuert concrete was used, and with other projects, the company survived and continued to grow on through the 1930's. The comapany has continue to grow, however, the railroad that once served the plant has all but vanished.
South Bend Sand and Gravel Railroad Plymouth locomotive, circa 2003. This locomotive once served the SBS&G RR. Today it is on display on Kuert Concrete Company property, Lincolnway West and Bendix Drive. The locomotive is located north of Lincolnway West on Bendix.
A great picture of South Bend Sand And Gravel GE
44Ton locomotive #0808, December 27, 1957.
Dennis Schmidt photo.
South Bend Sand And Gravel locomotive, circa 1957.
Right and Left: South Bend Sand and Gravel 25 Ton locomotive. September 9. 1956.
SBSG 40 Ton locomotive, September 1956.
Also on display is this P&H Shovel which once labored on the site. Today it sits as a reminder of years past.
Left: Old tracks that once tied into the South Shore line. This former lead is north of Lincolnway. Right: Another view of the former South Bend Sand spur. Looking toward the south.
Not much remains of the SBS&GRR. Left: Old tracks that once tied into the South Shore line. I'm sure that your average driver would become quite upset if there was a long string of cars to deliver or pick up. Right: Looking at the old tracks that once headed into the plant. Where did these once lead to?
Left: It might be a safe bet to say that the tracks pictured above may have led to this structure. Note the covered hopper spotted inside and the electric line above the tracks. This allowed South Shore electric locomotives to spot cars also. Right: Another picture of the old plant structures. Both photos courtsey Kuert Concrete Products .
| Tom's Railroad Page |