More Northern Indiana Railways Pictures
NIRR Motor Units
Some of the motor power on the Northern Indiana Railway. Left: Motor Unit #527. This unit carried less than carload freight as well as pulled rolling stock, circa 1934 Right: Motor Unit #570. This looks like a switch engine. Note South Shore wooden car behind this unit, circa 1934. These pictures were taken at the former shops complex on Notre Dame Avenue.
Motor Unit #551. This unit looks like something that was built to clean the flange ways where the rails ran down the streets. Note the brushes in front of the trucks. There was no notations on what they were for. Pictures is circa 1938.
Left: Northern Indiana Railways freight rolling stock in the street on Lincoln Way West, May 1934. Right: Looking west, towards downtown South Bend, along Lincoln Way East from the Grand Trunk Western bridge. This was obviously before the Eddy Street was built. A once famous landmark is pictured also. The A&W Root Beer Barrel Drive In.
Motor car #603 on LaSalle Street at Hill Street, circa 1940. This location is east of the St. Joseph River. Hill Street is to the left.
Left: Motor Car #215 on Mishawaka Avenue, January 1938. This area is known an River Park. Right: Motor Car #175 on the Notre Dame Line, on the University of Notre Dame campus. Rockne Stadium is pictured to the right. The year is 1940.
Motor Car #222 passing the Orphans Home near Logan Street and Lincolnway East. The St. Joseph River is beyond the tree line to the left side of the image.
Left: Motor Car #205 making its way past the Playland Public Market, Ironwood and Lincolnway East. Today, a Walgreens is replacing Don Meadow Pontiac. Right: This one was slightly harder to identify. The steeple in the left corner of the photo helped narrow down the location. That building is Thomas Jefferson school. The motor car is southbound on Eddy Street and the gas station pictured was on the corner of Eddy and Mishawaka Ave. Belmont Street runs east, north of the gas station. The houses pictured all still exist.
Left: Looking down on the NIRR from the Twyckenham Drive bridge looking down at Northside Blvd. with what is now Veteran's Memorial Park on the left, and the St. Joseph River just out of frame on the right. The curb cut in the distance was one of the boat ramps. Right: June 15, 1940. You are near the end of the line on Lincolnway West. This location is near Olive Street.
Left: On the Portage line. NIRR car at Portage and Navarre Streets, circa 1937. Right: The Mishawaka downtown depot, date unknown. This building exists in 2005. Mishawaka residents probably know it better as Bonnie Doon.
Chicago, South Bend and Northern Indiana Railway Company line car #571, circa 1935.
More images coming soon
Northern Indiana Railway Main
| Tom's Railroad Page |