MP K 23.8 9th Subdivision -

View Track Schematic

 

The only known information about this location is from the original Valplan. It was listed on early timetables.

 

MP K 22.0 9th Subdivision -

View Track Schematic

  

Left: Former C&WV crossing at 600 W. In this photo you are looking northwest from 600 W. Right: Former mainline heading southeast into Kersey. The line crossed the old NYC beyond the trees in the background of the photo.

Kersey Indiana, the former right of way looking northwest from the former NYC mainline.

 

 

 

 

Derailment of a New York Central train in 1912. Pictured is the tower at the NYC-C&WV. The tower was maintained by the Chicago and Wabash Valley.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

Left and Right: Chicago & Wabash Valley depot, circa 1910. Frank E. Lewis is pictured in both photos to the right. Lewis helped build the railroad and owned a farm next to Mr. Gifford. -Courtesy the Lewis family history files-

The Lewis Family farm, circa 1910. The house pictured still stand today. This farm was located west of the right of way. -Courtesy the Lewis family history files-

 

 

 

 

Chicago & Wabash Valley surveying crew at Kersey. Not known if the building is associated with the railroad. Circa 1910. -Courtesy the Lewis family history files-

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kersey Indiana, sometime in 1933. Monon Engine #135 sitting on the former C&WV line. Monon Engine #132 is behind #135. Charles Huffer photo, courtsey of Kevin Ruble and the MHTS.

 

 

 

  

NEW 03-12-2009 Left: Looking east down the former NYC Kankakee Belt at Kersey, circa 1978. The spur leading off to the right is original C&WV tracks. Right: Part of the original C&WV mainline at Kersey, circa 1978. -L Coe photographs, courtesy of Skip Breyfogle-

Kersey Indiana, the center of the Chicago and Wabash Valley operation. The rails which are visable in this picture follow the old right of way of the C&WV. They may not be original C&WV, but they follow the mainline right of way. The Jasper County Co-Op Elevator is in the background. The Co-OP sits on the site of the C&WV engine and shops facillity. There was once a "wye" for turning locomotives. Picture taken from the County Road 600W crossing. The northeast leg of the wye began about where the crossing ends. Although no tracks remain, there is a fence line that follows the curve of the old leg of the wye.

 

 

Kersey Indiana, old tracks follow the original C&WV mainline northwest from downtown. These tracks would cross the former NYC line east of DeMotte.

 

 

 

 

  

Left: Kersey Indiana, this location is believed to be the location an old coal company and, or, elevator. Looking toward the southeast. Right: Another view of the old C&WV mainline. Picture was taken from just south of the former NYC track, looking towards downtown Kersey.

 

  

Left: Looking at another leg of the wye. This is the leg of the wye that ran southeast and joined to the mainline east of the current elevator. There is a perfect curve which also follows the field to the right side of the photo. North of the white building the two old legs of the wye come together. Right: The end of the line? These tracks are part of the old ROW. By the trees in the background was the connection with a "wye" that was part of their locomotive service facillity. Beyond the trees in the background is County Road 550W. With development and farms, the old ROW has vanished and is hard to pick back up.

 

MP K 19.3 9th Subdivision -

View Track Schematic

Listed on the timetable, there is no information about this area that was found, other than former track location on the Valplans. The station location today is the middle of a field.

MP K 18.5 9th Subdivision -

View Track Schematic

 

Jasper county residents pose for a group photograph at the Zadoc weigh station on the Chicago & Wabash Valley in the early 1900's. These people are on their way to a typical Sunday picnic and baseball game at McCoysburg. This photo also shows the only passenger coach the Chicago & Wabash Valley owned. (I apologize for the quality of this picture.)

 

 

 

The inventory indicates the depot, coal house and bathroom were owned jointly with the C&EI without a written contract. The 1915 railroad profile does not show the wye, but Valplans of both roads do show it. The source of the name is not really known. It may have been from Biblical origins. It is where construction of the C&WV actually started.

  

Zadoc, Indiana. Left: This is the location where the C&WV interchanged and crossed the Chicago, Attica and Southern. This picture is looking northwest from Co. Road 1000 North. The old ROWs can still be seen. Right: Close up of some of the concrete of the old foundations. These foundation sat between the C&WV and the "wye" track which once ran from the CA&S to the C&WV. These are north of County Road 1000N.

MP K 17.4 9th Subdivision -

View Track Schematic

There is no information on McGlinn other than the former siding on the plan and a listing on the timetable. Today the location of the switch would be in a field.

 

MP K 14.1 9th Subdivision -

View Track Schematic

The town was founded in 1897 and named by Gifford himself. There was a post office in operation between 1902 and 1913. A carbody depot sat at milepost 65.97. The town may have been known as Smithfield prior to the railroad's arrival. The town consisted of two houses, a store and the railroad building. The Schrum Pickle Tanks were nearby. The only store was in operation from 1917 to 1921 and Albert Hurley ran the business. All the buildings were torn down after the railroad was abandoned and removed. Not much remains today, other than farms west along CR 600N.

Continue The Tour


| Bygone Monon Main | 1952 Lowell Train Wreck | Tom's Railroad Pages | Contact Me |